If you’re searching for a recipe that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters, this prickly treat may be what you’re looking for. Porcupine Sliders take a delicious turkey burger slider recipe and add brown rice, giving the patties a prickly look—just like a porcupine.
A grand-prize winner at a recent Minnesota school cook-off challenge, the recipe comes from the USDA’s Cookbook for Childcare Centers. Meant to be served as an entrée, Porcupine Sliders are healthy, mouth-watering turkey burgers, high in protein, with just the right amount of spices and a kick of sweet cranberries, all served on whole-grain rolls. Students put their heads together in the school kitchen, mixing and matching ingredients to find the perfect blend. Porcupine Sliders are a delicious, nutritious and appetizing way to get kids to eat healthy. The simple ingredients and easy preparation make them a favorable choice for a quick menu idea that even the pickiest kids will enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 25 sliders)
1 3/4 cups water
3/4 cup brown rice, long grain, regular, dry
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
3 1/2 pounds ground turkey, raw, lean
1 1/4 cups whole egg, liquid
1 1/4 cups dried cranberries, chopped
5 ounces fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp ground black pepper and 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
25 mini whole-grain rolls (1 ounce each)
- Combine water and brown rice in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oil. Sauté onions, celery and garlic for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine turkey, eggs, cranberries, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, salt, peppers, brown rice, and onion mixture. Mix well.
- Portion into patties using a No. 8 scoop (about 1/2 cup) onto a parchment lined sheet pan (18” x 26” x 1”) lightly coated with pan release spray. For 25 servings, use 1 pan.
- Bake: Conventional oven: 350F for 18 minutes. Convection oven: 325F for 14 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Serve on mini whole-grain rolls. If desired serve with lettuce, sliced tomato, red onions and condiments. Serve 1 slider. Calories: 247 per slider.