Bean and Pasta Salad
Bring this refreshing and filling salad recipe to your next picnic or potluck.
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Prep time and cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound pasta
2 cups assorted raw vegetables such as bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onion or cucumber
1 5-oz. can tuna, water packed, drained
2 cups cooked beans, or 1 drained and rinsed can, any type
1/2 cup black or green olives, drained (optional)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or sour cream
2 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
1/2 tsp. herbs, dill, oregano, basil or a combination of all
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Drain very well.
- While pasta is cooking wash vegetables by gently rubbing under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop vegetables.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together prepared raw vegetables and half of the cooked, drained pasta.
- Add the rest of the pasta, beans, tuna, and optional olives. Stir gently.
- In a small bowl mix all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and stir gently to blend well.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, with fresh tomatoes or other vegetables in season.
Use low-fat mayonnaise style salad dressing instead of making the dressing here.
Use whichever vegetables are in season and inexpensive.
For more protein, add sliced hard cooked eggs, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese or leftover cooked chicken.
Nutrition Facts Label calculalted with low-fat plain yogurt.