Breakfast burritos are an easy on-the-go recipe. You can prepare the ingredients once and mix and match to your liking throughout the week. Wrap this hot breakfast recipe in foil to take with you when you're in a hurry.
Serving size: 1 burrito
2 Tbsp. oil, divided
1 cup chopped vegetables of your choice, such as peppers, onions, and broccoli
2 Tbsp. non-fat or 1% milk
2 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
2 Tbsp. shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. salsa (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub tender raw produce under cold running water. Scrub firm raw produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop vegetables. If using frozen, thaw them in the microwave first.
- In a medium sized skillet heat one tablespoon oil, add vegetables and cook over medium heat until tender. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl. Wash hands after touching raw egg.
- Add milk to eggs and beat with a whisk or fork until mixture is uniformly yellow.
- Put remaining oil into skillet. Pour egg mixture into pan and cook, stirring constantly over medium low heat until eggs become firm. Remove from heat.
- Warm torillas in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Spoon half of cooked egg mixture down the center of each tortilla. Add half the vegetable mixture and top with half of the cheese.
- Fold or roll tortills and serve with salsa, if using.
To cut back on fat and cholesterol, substitute 2 egg whites for 1 whole egg.
Nutrition Facts Label is calculated with corn tortillas, eggs, broccoli, and salsa.