4-H Fun and Learning at Home
Keep your family happily busy with an array of fun and educational activities exploring the 4-H STEM / Makers pathway, all from the comfort of your home.
- 4-H Summer Unplugged: Birding in Your Backyard and Beyond. Have you ever wondered how many different types of birds visit your backyard in any given day? With this 4-H To Go Kit, you will learn ways to attract, identify, and count as many different birds as you can over a 4-week period, then build decorative bird baths to complete your backyard bird’s home!
- 4-H Summer Unplugged: Homestyle Camping. Camping is a blast no matter where you are! After a night of homestyle camping, join a outdoor living skill session and learn how to some non-traditional methods of camp cooking, including how to make an oven from a cardboard box!
- 4-H Summer Unplugged: Designing with Nature. What is your favorite flower, tree, or shrub? Better yet, have you recently played with your fruit and vegetables? This program will get you noticing all of the flora around you and give you a chance to use them to make art!
- Maker's Minute: Mixed Planters. Use your imagination and a mixture of plants to create a unique combination in a container to add a spot of color to your deck, porch, or anywhere outside!
- Maker’s Minute: Playful Pencil Pals. With some creativity, just a little bit of glue, and some craft supplies, you can make a Playful Pencil Pal!
- Maker’s Minute: Cranky Contraptions. Build a fun kinetic (that is, moving) sculpture using simple materials you can find around the house.
- Make a Cardboard Box Camp Oven. Camping season is just around the corner. No need to rough it when you have a cardboard box oven!
- Creative Recycled Planter Project. Look around your house for any kind of container to recycle, upcycle, repurpose or reuse as a planter, the more creative the better.
- Sew Your Own Lucky 4-H Clover in Minutes! This simple craft is a great way to add some charm to someone’s life. They come together in minutes and add a touch of 4-H to workspaces, social media posts, care packages, and much more. How many can you make?
- Bud Burst: Track the greening of your own backyard. Ever wonder when leaves will return in the spring? Ever notice which plants grow new leaves first? Be a backyard scientist and track the greening of your backyard this spring.
- "Quarantined-punk" Challenge. You may be familiar with our STEaMpunk challenges, but have you tried to do one throughout your ENTIRE HOUSE?
- STEaMpunk Chain Reaction Video Challenge. Here’s a fun activity that makes use of anything you can find around the house to build a chain reaction machine. Post your video on Facebook to win prizes!
New activities are added regularly! Sign up for our bi-weekly “4-H Friday Fun” community update newsletter to get the latest activities for all 4-H program pathways delivered to your inbox.
More Resources for 4-H STEM & Makers
- CoderZ - an online robotics coding platform that helps youth learn coding skills, problem solving, computational thinking and other fundamental computer science skills in a fun, “gamified” environment
- Getting Over Cabin Fever with STEM/Makers Projects from the UNH Extension Blog
- The 4-H STEM Lab from 4-H.org
Join the NH 4-H Community Group on Facebook to share your activity results with the broader NH 4-H community!