Root Vegetables Fresh from Farmers Market [video]
When you go to the farmers market in the fall, you will likely find a variety of root vegetables, they can be used in many different recipes, try using them in the recipe below.
Root Vegetable Mash
1 large rutabaga, chopped
1 pound red potatoes, chopped
1 small onion
3 garlic cloves
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
Splash of milk
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Wash and scrub the rutabaga and potatoes to remove any dirt that might be on them.
- Chop the rutabaga and potatoes into a medium to small dice, try to keep them about the same size for even cooking.
- Chop the onion and smash and peel garlic cloves.
- Place in a large sauce pan and add enough water to cover vegetables.
- Cook on medium-high heat until vegetables are fork tender.
- Drain in a colander.
- Pour vegetables into a large bowl add Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and a splash of milk, this makes the mashing easier. Mash with a potato masher.
- Add parmesan cheese and mash more until completely blended.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley for a colorful garnish.
You could serve this root vegetable mash as a side dish with roasted chicken, baked pork chops, or baked fish. The possibilities are endless.
Making the Recipe
Watch this short video on how to make this delicious root vegetable mash.