Caribbean Black Beans and Rice
Serving size: 1 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the rice's package.
- While rice is cooking, add oil to a skillet and sauté onion for two minutes.
- Add black beans, orange or pineapple juice, and allspice. Mash some beans with spoon for thicker consistency. Simmer over low heat until liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Serve black beans over rice.
Microwave a green vegetable to quickly round out this meal.
Roll leftovers in a flour tortilla for a quick burrito.
Save money on beans. Boil dried beans when you get them home from the grocery store. Pack 1 1/2 cups of rehydrated beans, about one can's worth, in plastic bags and put them in the freezer.