Chili mac is a favorite comfort food for my family, I eat the leftovers for lunch the next day or I freeze them for a quick meal another night.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 cup vegetables of your choice, fresh or frozen, chopped
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin or oregano
1 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni
2 15-oz. cans small red beans, kidney beans or pinto beans
2 14.5-oz. cans diced no salt added tomatoes with juice
1 6-oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put ground meat in a 6-quart saucepan or soup pot or 12" skillet. Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Cook meat over medium heat. While cooking chop meat and stir until it is cooked through and no longer pink. Ground turkey will turn white.
- While meat is cooking, gently rub any fresh vegetables under cold running water.
- Chop onion and fresh vegetables.
- Add onion, vegetables, chili powder and cumin or oregano and continue cooking until onions are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- In a separate pot, cook the macaroni following package directions, but omit salt and oil.
- While the macaroni cooks, drian and rinse the beans. Add beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce to the ground meat mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if sauce is too thick.
- Stir cooked macaroni and cheese into pot. The heat of the food will melt the cheese.
Nutrition Facts Label calculated with ground beef and kidney beans.