French toast tastes even better with old bread that is getting stale since it absorbs the egg mixture without getting too soggy. If you don't know what to do with dried egg mix from WIC, Commodity foods, or the food pantry, this recipe has the directions
Serving size: 2 slices
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
3 large eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup non-fat milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg
5 - 8 slicces whole grain bread
1 tsp. oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Break eggs into a shallow bowl or pie plate. Wash hands with soap and water after touching raw egg.
- Add milk and cinnamon or nutmet to the eggs and beat them together.
- Heat oil in skillet, over medium/high heat.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture, leaving it for 15-20 seconds per slice to coat, place into skillet. Wash hands with soap and water.
- Brown one side, flip and brown second side (3 to 5 minutes per side). Serve immediately, with syrup or try other toppings.
Applesauce, or other pureed fruit
Sliced strawberries and/or bananas
Vanilla yogurt (try warmed yogurt with honey)
Ham and cheese
How to use dry egg mix: mix 2/3 dry egg mix with 2/3 cup water and use in place of fresh eggs.
Refrigerate leftovers after cooling. Reheat in a toaster or toaster oven. Use within 2-3 days.