Did you know that you can cook radishes?
Radishes come in different colors and types - some are red, red and white or even just white. When you think of a radish you probably think of it as a garnish, sliced up in a fresh garden salad, diced in a potato salad or washed and popped right in your mouth.
Another interesting thing about radishes is that you can eat the radish greens raw or cooked. You should remove the greens from the radishes and place in a damp paper towel in the refrigerator. You should use them within two to three days from when they were purchased and always make sure to wash them before consuming. The radishes will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and should be stored unwashed. Make sure to scrub your radishes well with a vegetable brush under running water before using.
Radish Stir-Fry with Sugar Snap Peas
Serving size: 3/4 cup
- Remember to wash your hands and fresh ingredients before starting the recipe.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add snap peas and cook 3 minutes. Add radishes and cook 3 more minutes. Stir.
- Add orange juice and dill.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well. Serve and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers and use within 2-3 days.
A good way to cook the radish greens is to steam them like you would any other green. You could also put a little oil in a skillet over medium heat, add 1 chopped garlic clove and cook until garlic just starts to turn color, add your radish greens and cook until wilted. Serve and enjoy!
One bunch of radishes will yield about 2 1/2 cups of sliced radishes.
We recommend you check out more recipes using radishes from our friends at Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables. They have recipes for different in-season fruits and vegetables, so you can enjoy fruits and vegetables throughout the year.
Source: Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables