Seeing Blue - Fresh blueberries are ripening across the state
Now is the time to visit your local farmers market or farm stand to buy freshly picked blueberries. These small blue gems are sweet and delicious and can be used in many recipes. Wash a handful and put in your cereal or yogurt, top a salad or just pop them in your mouth. Try the recipe below to make delicious pancakes.
Extending the Bounty
Blueberries are available during the summer, but you can enjoy this fruit all year long by preserving it. Learn how to freeze blueberries in our fact sheet, Freezing Fruit.
Blueberry Wheat Germ Pancakes
Serving size: 2 pancakes
- Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar. Add wheat germ.
- Combine milk and oil and stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Stir in cottage cheese until mixture is lumpy.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Spray griddle or pan with cooking oil and heat.
- Drop a spoonful of batter on hot griddle. Cook until golden brown, turning once.
- Refrigerate leftover pancakes and serve another day.