5 Ways to Beat Cabin Fever
With winter’s short cold days and long dark nights upon us, it can be easy to feel a little stir crazy this time of year! However, you don’t need to head outside into the frigid weather to keep yourself and your family busy. Whether you are looking for activities for yourself or for your family, there are many ways to keep busy! Here are our top five tips to help you and your family beat cabin fever this winter.
- Try a new recipe: USDA What’s Cooking has a ton of great easy and cost-effective recipes to try. You can search by ingredient, meal, food group, recipe cost and more! Try out this winter crisp for a warm and cozy dessert!
- Read a book: Unplug from all the screens and encourage the whole family to pick up a book, either an old favorite or one that’s been on your reading list for a while!
- Play an indoor game: Try a scavenger hunt or board game, build a fort or have fun with whatever your family can dream up! Or try this crossword puzzle based on USDA’s MyPlate!
- Try an arts and crafts activity: Have you always wanted to learn how to knit? Do you have antsy children in the house? People of all ages can enjoy creating art with simple materials you may already have around the house. Try painting a winter scene, knitting a winter scarf or even making a homemade snow globe!
- Get active indoors! Dance around the house to your favorite music or try a quick at-home workout with little to no equipment needed. Even cleaning around the house can be a great way to get your body moving and feeling the mood-lifting benefits of exercise.